Saturday, November 26, 2011

Don't Copybot Me Bro!

Last night I kept getting messages about somebody using a copy of my avatar. Was it me?  Was it somebody trying to discredit me?  What was going on?

Thanks to Stefanos for the Photo.
It looks like they got the skin wrong!
Obviously someone copybotted me..again...oh, whatever shall I do?

I thought it'd be fun to take a picture of my avatar with my copybot doppelganger, but whenever I teleported to where somebody spotted it, they had left already.

Initially, there was some confusion over whether this was one person or several.  I was able to piece together that it was just one person, and I had a pretty good idea who it was.

His original name was Cyrus something and he wore this big naked devil avatar at Moose Beach.  I made fun of him because he would gladly tell people what a horrible griefer he was.  (Usually, horrible griefers don't have to announce themselves).  At one point he even offered to give me copies of his griefer scripts if I wouldn't name fun of him anymore.

To illustrate how much of a doofus this guy is, he used to have this in his profile:
I do have a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long SL career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you tangle with me, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will get you.
Apparently, one of these particular skills includes copybotting my avatar and wearing it around where precisely nobody cared.

Some people do actually care if people copybott their avatar. I've seen them scream about it.  I know one guy who raged and went into virtual hiding because Adam copied his "trademark" avatar.  I, however, don't give two shits.  My avatar is not my identity, which is why I change it to something completely different from time to time.

I used to worry about copybott as a general concept though, I don't anymore.

My thinking used to be that copybott threatened the user created content economy of SecondLife, just like digital piracy threatened the music industry in real life.

That was erroneous thinking.  Erroneous because, unlike the music industry, the SecondLife User Created Content economy grew up at the same time as the ability to copybott and thrived despite it.

Most users, it seems, would really rather pay the low price for virtual goods rather than stealing it.  I suspect because it's more convenient to get the stuff by legitimate means, than by copying it.

Most people who employ copybott these days are users who lose their accounts so regularly, that investing in their virtual inventory would be pointless.  Linden Labs have done their best to get rid of these users, with precisely no effect, and, despite what you might hear, these "uninvited" users of SecondLife haven't posed much of a threat to the existence of SecondLife either.

That means,  there's a very small percentage of SecondLife users who actively use copybott, and they're people who otherwise wouldn't buy anything, so it doesn't really represent a loss to the creator.  Were there no such thing as copybott, they still wouldn't have made a sale.  It might make them mad, but it doesn't do them any damage.

In my case, it doesn't even make me mad.  Different versions of the avatars I wear have been copybotted probably two dozen times by now.  It hasn't made any difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vendors and Creators