Saturday, January 15, 2011

Noise and Confusion

There's a rather stupid game that a lot of people play for some reason.

It goes like this.  You TP into a place, pick a target, then say unpleasant things about them.  In return they say unpleasant things about you.  This continues until one or both sides gets tired of it and TP's out or goes AFK.

Some people call it trolling, but to me, real trolling is more well thought out and has a punchline.  This form of free-style trolling is just kind of bullshit.

It's fairly popular though.  There are people who do only this on SecondLife.  Why, I cannot answer.

The real goal, I suppose, is to get the opposition to show some sort of negative emotion.  It's often called "rage", but it's more akin to annoyance, like popping somebody with a rubber band over and over again until they scream at you.

There are some great minds at work in SecondLife.  None of them are involved in this bullshit.

Normally I would call for an end to such nonsense, but the people involved in this have been at it for quite some time now and built their reputation on it.  I doubt they'd listen to what I thought no matter what.

It makes me a bit sad really.  For all the potential for creating and sharing and experiencing, this sort of verbal sparring over who's uglier is something of a let down.

1 comment:

  1. OH Gosh...I was just casually reading this until I came to this line:
    "It's often called "rage", but it's more akin to annoyance, like popping somebody with a rubber band over and over again until they scream at you."
    Just broke me up... thanks for the laff Boyd.
    It is really sad tho that what some of us see as a great opportunity so many see as schoolyard taunting.
    Although my grandfather often asked me, "Why would you 'expect' anyone to do anything?"

    ReplyDelete

Vendors and Creators