Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Production Triangle

I was thinking about Phillip's goal to make SecondLife Fast, Easy and Fun.

One of the first things I learned in my theatre education was the concept of the production triangle.  With the production triangle, there are three choices, Good, Fast and Cheap, with the trick being you can only have two of these at the same time.

In all my years in theatre and the arts, I've never seen this rule violated.  You might have a project that's good and fast, but it won't be cheap.  Likewise, you might have a project that's fast and cheap, but it won't be good and so on.

I wonder if Fast, Easy and Fun aren't really the same thing.

We all know what "fast" is, but what if "easy" is just another way of saying "cheap" and what if "fun" is just another way of saying "good"?

If that's true, then we may be kind of screwed going for Fast Easy and Fun, because you can only have two of the three.

If I had to choose, I'd go for Fast and Fun.  Both speak to a satisfying user experience.  Easy though, sometimes we don't much appreciate things that come easy. 

1 comment:

  1. Secondlife as we know it will never be easy.
    Boyd rather than repeat my poor typing skills..I'll just link to my extensive comment to Dale on soror's post.
    http://sorornishi.blogspot.com/2010/10/ultimate-viewer.html?spref=tw

    ReplyDelete

Vendors and Creators